Been quite busy lately – my son got married in the Dominican Republic so that pulled me away from doing any more computer or woodworking activities.
I thought to get back into it though I’d try something extending what I learned from tackling the reptile project. The new effort requires a bit more precision than the last one. Since I live near the coast a sea based design may be appropriate. This one is also Escher inspired and is a tessellation based on seahorses.
Since this design needs to lock into each other more than the last, I thought using design parametric and constraints would be a great way to start. Fusion 360 lets you define relationships between lines (e.g., they must be the same length, they must per perpendicular).
The equal signs in the illustration above show when a line has a length equality relationship with another line, in this closeup of the seahorse gills. This ability to define the relationship is useful since the gill elements will need to fit inside each other.
To create the g-code to manufacture the seahorse, I used the trace (for the eyes) and contour capabilities to define the commands to cut out the outline. These were defined to be cut using a 1.5 mm bit.
It took 4 iterations before I was able to reliably produce the seahorse. In the final design, I had to turn off the constraints on some design elements (up by the mouth of the seahorse) to interlace the design elements effectively.
I am going to use walnut and maple in an alternating design to produce the final result. So far, I’ve just been creating the walnut designs and they seem to be produced reliably.
I’ll put out another post when I put them all together and epoxy the design. It will be at least a week though.